The business, both large and small, in Durham, NC, rely heavily on their network of computers and peripherals to operate and remain productive. These important assets are the method to maintain their distinct competitive advantage within their industry. The persistent characteristic of cyber criminals, disgruntled current and former employees and overall carelessness of users can shut down your computer networks and compromise data, especially your critical data. CII Technology Solutions is Durham’s leading network security service and defense provider. What is network security? Network security includes the hardware, software, policies and procedures designed and functions to defend against internal and external threats aimed at your company’s computer systems. Multi-layered defense of hardware and software can prevent threats from doing considerable harm to computer networks, and stop the spread if they manage to slip past the defenses.
Durham companies are not immune to the attacks from hackers and malicious programs aimed at either damaging your system or stealing information. Looking at the specific or common threats, aimed at Durham networks, will shed some light on the subject and with the expert help of CII’s experienced experts to shore up any vulnerabilities lurking in your system.
- Malicious programs such as: viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware, malware, adware and botnets
- Zero-day and Zero-hour attacks
- Hacker attacks
- Denial of Service (DoS) and Distributed Denial of Service Attacks (DDoS)
- Data theft
Each of these threats are designed specifically to exploit:
- Unsecured wireless networks
- Unpatched software and hardware
- Unsecured websites
- Potentially unwanted applications (PUAs)
- Weak passwords
- Lost devices
- Unwitting users or users with malicious intent
As a Durham company, what can you fundamentally do to protect your valuable network from these threats? The top 5 fundamentals of network security, or fundamentals you can implement in your company, are important. They will provide system defense and undisputable benefits: downtime prevention, government regulation compliance, reduced liability and reputation defense.
- Hardware and Software updates and patches must be kept current. Lax application of updates and patches expose vulnerabilities cyber criminals can exploit.
- Strong Passwords are highly recommended. The preferred and recommended passwords are at least 6 characters (more is better), and uses a combination of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols.
- Your VPN (Virtual Private Network) must be secure. Encryption is important.
- User access must be actively managed. Inappropriate user-access privileges pose a significant security threat. Managing employee access to critical data on an ongoing basis should not be overlooked. When an employee’s job changes, make sure the IT department is notified so their access privileges can be modified to fit the duties of the new position.
- Clean-up inactive accounts. Inactive accounts leave a gapping vulnerability that exposes the entire network.
These are very important items to consider and maintain in your Durham network security plan. CII can help put a complete network security plan in place and begin a custom designed security monitoring program. CII Technology Solutions understands you’re in business because you do what you do well. We are dedicated to supporting your business by providing outsourced network security programs designed specifically for your unique business. Additionally, when review the current state of your network security, there are a few questions to think about:
- Does your Durham company maintain a list of authorized software and applications? Are authorized users privy to this list?
- Are your company’s written security policies up to date? If so, does it spell out which, if any, personal devices can access the company network and state explicitly how much time users have to report lost or stolen devices?
- Does your network segregate critical data from the rest of the network and require users to authenticate before access is granted?
CII Technology Solutions has considered about these questions and more. We know exactly what questions to ask to make sure every facet of your network is covered from top to bottom. We will recommend steps and any changes needed to close loopholes and remove vulnerabilities. If you are looking for a Durham network security company that has your company’s best interests at heart and has an unmatched level of integrity and dependability, then CII Technology Solutions is ready to help. Contact our Durham, NC today at (919)676-8300 and we can implement or increase your network security defenses today!